Monday, July 11, 2011

NE Tillamook and 15th St

I'm incredibly smitten with beautiful and unique house that has long left Portland. I just found out about it from the blog Vintage Portland. This wonderful image is from the University of Oregon Libraries and when you look at the large image it is overwhelming how clear a picture it is. What a stunning house, I so wish I could see it.

This is what is there now. The little white house next door still stands, but unfortunately this run of the mill apartment building is now where this house once stood. The house was demolished in 1965.



Not everything can survive of course, but I'm sure glad that at least someone got an image before the house was gone.

2 comments:

  1. This makes me want to jump off the Hawthorne bridge. What were they thinking, and why did this sort of thing happen so often? Can you imagine what the interior of this house must have been like? Argh. Aesthetics and design should be part of the middle-school curriculum as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad indeed. It's criminal to tear down a place like that.

    ReplyDelete